[Featured Testimony] Not Delivered


Every day I commute to work 45 minutes. In heavy traffic, my commute is an hour. Among friends, I am known as “hell on wheels”; I tend to get where I need to go efficiently and speedily. During my time on the road I might let an expletive or two slip, especially when a car cuts in front of me or a slow car finds itself in the fast lane. By the time I arrive at my office, I have spewed enough filth to rival a minor demon.

My fits of fury most often take place on mornings when I am rushed. After a particularly convicting sermon on ushering the spirit of the Lord into our day at a Wednesday night service, I decided to make Thursday a day of joy. I woke in gratefulness and thankfulness, as I always do, and in addition to my morning prayer for safety and covering in my car I asked God to bind my spirit of entitlement. I asked God to bind my casual tongue and my spirit of haste. (Philippians 4:6-7) 

Not surprisingly, my drive became a soaring, effortless ride. I moved in courtesy, compassion, and peace – maintaining my sense of purpose and acknowledging my role in the corporate body. Work is noble, holy, and a blessing. My assumption that my arrival to work was somehow more important than others’ travels was false and arrogant. God made space for us all.

As a person that witnesses people racing out of the church parking lot each week with disdain, I was slightly embarrassed to need a sermon to remind me not to be a road rager. But God corrects us all in gentleness and light. Thankfully…

No comments:

Post a Comment