Looking to the throne.



Salutations, world! It's ya boy Joshua checking in for the first time as a contributor to the beautiful work going down at Christian Carpology. I'd been on the sidelines for a minute, and figured it was about time I got in on the Holy Ghost party jumping off over here. Pardon the delay. I have a heart full of testimonies to share, and God willing will post much more frequently in the days to come. He's too good to keep it under wraps!

Last week, I joined the budding disability ministry at my church in the UK, and cannot explain in words how excited I am to begin engaging more fully in the Lord's work while I am over there. I know in my spirit that God appointed me to be in Coventry at this time, but in all honesty have been struggling mightily these past few weeks with intense feelings of loneliness and doubt.

At first, I didn't understand why God would put me in the West Midlands, of all places. Why not somewhere where the gifts he had given me could shine? Why not London? Why not Cambridge, the school I originally wanted to attend in the first place (admittedly, for my glory and not His)? To be alone, and at the University of Warwick was a daily struggle. I knew I had to stay put, but didn't know why.

Then, as He always does, the Lord showed up and made me feel silly for ever doubting. After a brief conversation about how I had yet to find a church home across the Atlantic, my close friend and brother in Christ, Everett, put me on to the website for New Wine Ministries [CLICK New Wine]. A couple minutes later, I had found what I was looking for: a church within walking distance from campus. I attended church on Sunday, and was blown away by the worship. The students ministry meeting after service sold me on the place. Once I told folks about my research, which essentially deals with the intersections of disability and Black identity in literature and pop culture, it was suggested to me that I inquire about a few of the ministries (called "cell groups") that deals directly with issues of disability and neurodiversity.

Approximately 1 week later, and I am officially a member of the disability ministry! As I understand it, my specific group is currently working on 2 distinct endeavors. The first is that we go out into Coventry schools and have conversations with young people across the spectrum of disability about God's love. One of my central concerns as a member of this group is tearing down lies that the world has told these young people about how the Lord views them. I believe wholeheartedly that God's image is not one solely seen in the bodies and minds of nondisabled folks; teaching otherwise makes absolutely no sense. The discrimination, and utter lack of love that we have allowed to persist in the Church in regard to people with disabilities is a matter that pains my heart, and is something that I will fight against until the day I stop breathing.

One of the second endeavors of my cell group (and this is another passion of mine) is to work on helping churches in the UK become not only wheelchair accessible, but more theologically accessible as well. Often times, I hear metaphors used in Church that cast disability in a negative light (terms like "spiritual schizophrenia" for example) and feel that it is an issue far too often not brought to the attention of preachers. My desire is to have open discussions with local clergy that deal directly with teaching on/talking about disability in a manner that lines up more directly with God's desire that all be included. It's time for the walls to come down.

OK, I know that's a lot for a first post, so I'll let ya'll rest for now. Be encouraged!

1 comment:

  1. Question Joshie?
    So in Jesus's ministry there is a clear emphasis on healing and restoration. In his own words he came to proclaim sight for the blind (Luke 4) etc. How do we as Christians reconcile his message of wholeness and restoration to the fact that a lot of people with disabilities reject the idea that they need to be "healed" or "restored"

    ReplyDelete